Pre Bonded Pair Adoptions for Pickup Only March / April 2020
no visits to the ranch other than for pick up at gate
ADOPTING AT THE LOS ANGELES GUINEA PIG RESCUE
We are so thankful that you have decided to adopt guinea pigs with us at the Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue. Application form is below but prior to your adopting with us we have two very important requirements listed below:
1. PROPER CAGE SIZE: As you must know guinea pigs require a lot space to roam and live a healthy happy life. Here at the rescue we require that you have a cage that is a minimum of 2' x 4' (8 sq ft total). Our preferred cages are the Midwest Guinea Habitat or a custom C&C cage. You can find more information on proper sized cages at Guinea Pig Cages.
2. MULTIPLE GUINEA PIGS: Guinea pigs are herd animals by nature. Although they might enjoy the company of their humans they will thrive and be happiest with a companion of their own kind. Here at the rescue we specialize in bonding single pigs and we work to find their best mate. We only adopt out pairs or bond a single with an already existing single piggie. We however do not adopt out single piggies to live on their own.
Other things to remember when adopting at the LAGPR:
- Our mission is to rescue, nuture and rehome. We have several piggies looking to find their furever homes so please be open minded to the available options that we do have to offer. Many of our piggies might be under treatment or not available for a specific reason so please ask about them. All of our piggies are first come first serve and we do not make special reservations or holds on any piggies.
- When coming to adopt please make sure to bring a carrier (per piggie) to take home your newly adopted furry friend. We recommend having a special box or carrier set aside for the new friend and make sure it is large enough for them to move about. For your consideration, a shoe box might be a tad bit too small for one let alone two piggies.
- On hot summer days please make sure that the piggies you are traveling with are hydrated and at a comfortable temperature. Never put their carrier or box near a car window with the sun directly on it as it will heat up rather quickly even with the air conditioning on. Guinea pigs can easily overheat at temperatures above 78 degrees C.
- For first time adopters, at the rescue we sell all the supplies you will need to get started: cages, housing, food, bedding etc... Plan on spending anywhere between $150 - $200 for all the supplies including your adoption fee. All proceeds go directly to the rescue and all the animals!
- Are you interested in adopting guinea pigs for your children? Please read this article when deciding to adopt guinea pigs for your family with little ones. Information kindly provided by Cavy Spirit: Children and Guinea Pigs
- Guinea pigs can be wonderful pets and bring so much love and joy into our lives but sadly they can also get very ill at times. As a pet owner it is always important to remember that they will also require medical attention at times so prepare financially for these potential issues. Vet visits can cost anywhere between $100 - $2000. Please ask us about exotic pet insurance because for as low as $75 per year/ per pig you could possibly save thousands a year on vet visits.
Single Guinea Pig (as a buddy only) $35
Same Sex Pair or Trio $50
Pair/Trio w Neutered Male $125
Neutered/Spayed Guinea Pig $100
Single Skinny Pig $100
Skinny w/ Regular Guinea Pig $125
Pair of Skinny Pigs $200
Now that we have gone over a few things hopefully you are informed and ready to fill out our adoption application below!