Still no touring of the ranch yet, but we are doing health checks and adoptions!
ADOPTING AT THE LOS ANGELES GUINEA PIG RESCUE
We are so thankful that you have decided to adopt guinea pigs with us at the Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue. Our application form is below*. Prior to your adoption with us, we have two very important requirements that all adopters must follow:
1. PROPER CAGE SIZE: As you must know, guinea pigs require a lot space to roam and live a healthy, happy life. Here at the rescue, we require that you have a cage that is a minimum of 2' x 4' (8 sq. ft. total). Our preferred cages are the Midwest Guinea Habitat or a custom C&C cage. You can find more information on proper sized cages at Guinea Pig Cages.
2. MULTIPLE GUINEA PIGS: Guinea pigs are herd animals by nature. Although they enjoy the company of their humans, they will thrive and be happiest with a companion of their own kind. Here at the rescue we specialize in bonding single pigs and we work to find their best mate. We only adopt out pairs or bond a single with an already existing single piggy. We however do not adopt out single piggies to live on their own.
Other things to remember when adopting at the LAGPR:
- Our mission is to rescue, nurture, and rehome. We have several piggies looking to find their fur-ever homes so please be open-minded to the available options that we do have to offer. Many of our piggies might be under treatment or not available for a specific reason, so please ask about them. All of our piggies are first-come, first-served, and we do not make special reservations or holds on any piggies.
- When coming to adopt please make sure to bring a carrier (one per piggy) to take home your newly-adopted furry friend. We recommend having a special box or carrier set aside for the new friend and make sure it is large enough for them to move about. For your consideration, a shoe box might be a tad bit too small for one, let alone two piggies.
- On hot summer days please make sure that the piggies you are traveling with are hydrated and at a comfortable temperature. Never put their carrier or box near a car window with the sun directly on it as it will heat up rather quickly even with the air conditioning on. Guinea pigs can easily overheat at temperatures above 78 degrees F. Wrap a frozen water bottle in a sock and place in the carrier with them. This is SO important. We see too many piggies arriving with heat stroke, which can be fatal.
- For first-time adopters, at the rescue we sell all the supplies you will need to get started: cages, housing, food, bedding, etc... Plan on spending anywhere between $150 - $200 for all the supplies, including your adoption fee. All proceeds go directly to the care of our animals!
- Are you interested in adopting guinea pigs for your children? Please read this article when deciding to adopt guinea pigs for your family with little ones. Information kindly provided by Cavy Spirit: Children and Guinea Pigs
- Guinea pigs can be wonderful pets and bring so much love and joy into our lives but sadly they can also get very ill at times. As a pet owner it is always important to remember that they will also require medical attention at times so prepare financially for these potential issues. Vet visits can cost anywhere between $200 -$1,500. Please ask us about Nationwide's exotic pet insurance. For as low as around $200 per year, per pig. You could possibly save thousands a year on vet visits.
*You will receive an email from us with information about your adoption appointment once the form is filled out. Please check your spam or junk folder if you do not receive this email within 48 hours.
Single Guinea Pig (as a buddy only) $35
Same Sex Pair or Trio $50
Pair/Trio w Neutered Male $125
Neutered/Spayed Guinea Pig $100
Now that we have gone over a few things, hopefully you are informed and ready to fill out our adoption application below!
THIS IS THE ADOPTION APPLICATION*
*Please fill out the application on your PC or Mac. It will glitch and not generate for us if you use your phone/tablet.